COMPUTER MAINTENANCE & REPAIR COURSE
To enable participants to diagnose and repair system level faults in computer based systems at foundation level.
- City & Guilds of London Institute PC Technology (Examination No. 7267-426). This examination consists of 2 written tests and 3 practical assignments. The qualification can be used as part of the requirement for City & Guilds Diploma in IT Systems Support (7267-24).
- On completion of the Course, having been successful in an examination, the participant will receive a Hi-Tech Training Certificate.
30 hours (10 x 3 hour training sessions). Classes will be held in comfortable surroundings. Additional time may be allocated if necessary.
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of basic PC systems
- Install and commission a working stand-alone PC
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of data storage devices
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of current printers
- Components of a computer: - microprocessor, memory, video slot/card, sound card, I/O card, FDD and CD controllers, serial and parallel interfaces, expansion modules.
- Microprocessor: - Specifications, speed, data and address bus widths
- Memory: - RAM, ROM, cache, floppy and hard disk, CD and DVD ROM, USB. Maintenance, testing and cleaning drives.
- I/O: - Serial and parallel, RS232, RS423, Centronics, serial and parallel cables and connector testing for use in current PC systems
- Monitors and Displays: - Definitions, types, uses and applications.
- Printers: - types, applications and specifications. Principles of operation of inkjet and laser printers, paper handling, printer cables and connections.
- Power supplies. Ratings: - Voltage, current and power requirements, DC and AC. The energy saving function, block diagram, typical faults, software setup and menu-driven adjustments.
- Electro-static discharge (ESD) and safety precautions.
- The WEEE directive, correct disposal of PC and printer waste.
- Installing and commissioning functioning systems.
- Fault Diagnosis: - PC boot-up sequence, power on self test (POST), virus checking and clearing, Software diagnostics and flowcharts. Component and module substitution and testing techniques.
Practical “Hands-On” experience: - 50% approx.