COMPUTER NETWORKING COURSE
Networks are a major component of ICT (Information & Communication Technology) communication. This course provides learners with both the practical and theoretical knowledge of basic networks. During the course, participants will learn about the different components used to create a network including hardware, software and topologies.
To enable participants to install, configure and test a small computer network
- City & Guilds of London Institute "Install, configure and test ICT Networks" (Examination No. 7266/7267-408). This examination consists of 2 practical assignments. The qualification can be used as part of the requirement for City & Guilds Diploma in IT Systems Support (7267-24).
- On completion of the Course, having been successful in an examination, the participant will receive a Hi-Tech Training Certificate.
30 hours (10 x 3 hour training sessions). Classes will be held in comfortable surroundings. Additional time may be allocated if necessary.
- Identify network concepts and terminology
- Identify components that make up a network
- Install, configure and test a network
- Use and control a local area network
- Network features, hardware and software components.
- Network topologies, technologies and communication protocols.
- Peer-to-peer and server based networks including: - servers, clients, peers, shared resources, operating systems, administration, security, central support systems.
- OSI layers (Open Systems Interconnection), MAC address, sub-netting.
- Internet access technologies: - DSL, Broadband (ADSL), PSTN (dial-up), Satellite, Wireless.
- Selecting cable or wireless systems for connection.
- Hardware components for a peer-to-peer network including: - interface cards, hubs/switches, cables, connectors, tools and anti-static equipment.
- Connecting network printers.
- Virus protection, firewalls and passwords, security measures, file management and access rights.
- Testing networks, resolving routine problems associated with installation
Practical “Hands-On” experience: - 50% approx.